A 1,000 calorie deficit will result in losing about a pound. At an average pace, a person burns about 100 calories per mile.

Counting calories sucks, so I watch my portion sizes. I figure a cup of anything is about 100 calories. This doesn't work for meat but it's just a concept as the number doesn't matter. If I don't feel physically hungry when it's time to eat, I make the meal smaller. If I get hungry early, I eat a piece of fruit.

I'm an author and I work at home, so it's tempting to sit in a chair all day. To counter this, I bought an app from Welnomics that turns off my keyboard for seven minutes after typing for 20 minutes. I use this time to do housework or just pace around the house.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter much if you walk the distance all at once or a little at a time. I use a pedometer to count steps, and just assume 2,000 steps is a mile. If I'm behind, I eat less. If I'm ahead, I eat more if I want, 100 calories for each 2,000 steps above the sedentary baseline.

Aerobics benefit is a little tricker. People say 20 minutes, but not all exercises are equal. According to studies by Ken Cooper, we need 30 aerobics points a week. You can find the point values here

Jogging/running is the most efficient way to burn calories and to get aerobic benefit. You can find the values using this calculator.

This all sounds too complicated, and it is except for an obsessive person. The best advice I've heard is get on the scale everyday. If the weight is up, eat less and exercise more. If the weight is down, get a normal baseline of food and exercise.

Edited by Gershon (02/06/14 03:29 PM)