Lori,

If you look at the Trans-America trail, you will find it doesn't go through the far southwest. It turns northwest in Colorado. It is a little over 4,000 miles though.

It is possible to make it across Arizona without going on the interstate, and I've looked at the route carefully. However, it's almost impossible to plan for water, so I rejected that route. It does involve walking along dirt roads which may be hard to find. It's also illegal to walk near railroad tracks, and from what I heard from someone who got stopped twice in Arizona, they will stop you.

There is a 6,996 mile route that touches every state in the lower forty-eight that would be reasonable to hike, as long as the hiker is careful to check the weather for spring snowstorms for the first month or two. I think it could be done in 10 months with some scientific planning.

The best tool I've found for initial planning is Microsoft Streets and Trips. This program lists all services and phone numbers to call if you are dependent on one place on a long stretch. It is the most flexible program for entering a large route and making modifications. Then follow the route with Google Maps Street View to see what is really there.

To keep from carrying too many maps, take about 500 miles worth and email maps to yourself. Print them at libraries along the way. Another option is to have a support person overnight maps along the way.

Scrambler, I just looked at your original post. You are at a prime age to undertake this sort of adventure. I'd consider getting a good sleeping bag which will cost several hundred dollars. There are many tents you can get, and it's worth spending the money for a good one. Having the right tent and sleeping bag will likely pay for themselves in preventing two or three nights in a motel along the way. I'd suggest a woman's sleeping bag given your height.

The last person I know who tried this started out with a 65 pound pack and a poor plan. He only made it about 75 miles. I give him credit for trying. After, he decided riding a motorcycle was more fun.

Given your height, I think it's barely possible to use a 30 liter pack and stay under 20 pounds most of the time. This will be more a function of what you don't take than the cost of the gear. This would mean not cooking, which isn't a big inconvenience once you get used to it.

Your biggest concern will be money. People tend to spend much more than they plan on.