I am looking around to see if I can find a source for basic rain pants made with non-breathable, polyurethane coated ripstop nylon, or a similar fabric with a similar coating that is designed to be very waterproof, but not especially breathable.

Here in the Pacific Northwest rain pants are not really optional for hiking much of the year. I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to my legs, there just isn't much necessity for breathability, but waterproofness is paramount when I am wading through wet ferns or bushes overhanging the trail. Good breathable fabrics are very expensive. Cheap breathable fabrics start letting water in before too long. I don't care for either of those options.

By the same token, I don't need full length zippers, or reflective piping / patches, pretty colors or a lot of styling, or fancy articulations -- just a pair of stove-pipe-legged rain pants, with maybe a front pocket or two that can be zipped shut. The lighter weight, the better. grin

Anyone else out there have some recommendations along these lines? Even CampMor seems to have moved on from their house brand of PU-coated rainwear and are just trying to get rid of their remaining stock of Small or XXL sizes at reduced prices.

Thanks in advance! thanks