I usually do all the plan and prep for the hikes we go on so I end up leading the way but like Bill I like to keep an eye on the group from behind. If it gets technical I like to leap frog pick the path then stop to help or just watch for any potential problems. One problem I find leading is I need to bring more granola bars and energy dense food to hand out to someone who might be running low. I find if I keep these things easily accessible it keeps the group moving. I also like to remind people to drink there water. The goal is to drink often in small amounts. Preventing issues is so much easier than dealing with problems. I also watch for the ones who have new shoes, so many times these are the same ones hauling a cast iron skillet.

I wish I had eagle eyes, my deceased father-in-law was amazing. He would be looking at a clump of bushes and after a bit of time would say "do you see that buck?"
I look and look and finally say "no" and after about 40 mins I'll see a bush move and all of the sudden there it is. I've trained my eyes and have gotten better but I doubt I'll ever be as good as he was.

Bill love your arrowhead story! Some things are just meant for certain people to see, I'm good at finding petroglyphs, seems I find then wherever I go. I've started gpsing the ones that are very obscure and submitting this to the local archeologist to help deter vandalism. Last year I found a series of really neat glyphs that appear to represent fish or whales, in Nevada! Unlike the typical ones found through out the Great Basin.