A couple of years ago, I was hiking in Colorado and passed what appeared to be a perfect campsite. Thinking I might come back to it someday, I did an instinctive survey of the campsite, as there are often hidden dangers people don't notice. There was a safe fire ring with clear ground around it, along with some logs to sit on near the fire ring. I found a smooth spot for a tent far enough away from the fire ring so it wouldn't be likely someone dumped their bacon grease on it. This is just the sort of thing that can attract bears into a tent, and bears are common in that area. The area for a tent was on a high spot, so it wasn't likely it would get flooded in a rainstorm. I checked above and there were no dead tree limbs hanging over the site, and when I looked around so see if there were any dead trees surrounding the campsite, I saw the danger. There was brush washed up against the trees about six feet above the campsite. The campsite was in a narrowing valley, with a small stream near it, and it had been severely flooded at one time. All it would take is a bad storm at the top of the valley, and there wouldn't even be much notice of flooding. Many times, perfect campsites can be deadly.