I want to take my 5 y.o. son backpacking and I am looking for a good locale. I would like it to be local, so I don't have to leave my wife and my 2 y.o. for very long. The closer to LA the better.

My ideal would be something at lower elevation (so I don't have to wait till spring) with a fairly easy walk of around a mile or so. I want to make sure he doesn't get frustrated with the hike his first time out. I would like water nearby that I can treat so I don't have to slog in all the water along with all the gear.

Researching so far I came up with Mono Campground (up past Santa Barbara in the Los Padres NF). The walk is shorter than I am looking for (300 ft) and I am not sure my Prius can make it to the trail head. To the south is Crystal Cove State Park, which sounds great, but water is not available and it is a 3.5 to 4.5 mile hike mostly uphill. Also thinking about heading to a Channel Island (hoping Old Ranger is around to chime in) or Catalina Island.... though I haven't been sold on any of those options.

Can anyone else provide suggestions?