Originally Posted By skcreidc
Kinda late to this party....But...

In the interest of this discussion, and note that I have NOT read ANY of the link,

Quote:

1. The information from the link is that "the initial claims from the bulk supplier for Aquamira Water Treatment were 'bacteria, taste and odor', and all testing was done in potable water. . . . " So that pretty definitively states how far Aquamira can go in making its claims, which is not far enough for backpackers.

That statement in itself suggests that if your backpacking water issue is bacteria, you would be fine as most of us would select potential "potable water" sources to drink from. I take this statement more as an indication that the water chemistry is within acceptable drinking water standards and isn't abnormally high in one or another chemical component such as say Ca and SO4, or maybe water percolating through mine tailings. Acceptable as treatment is assuming that these tests showed Aquamira was effective at treating bacteria of course.

Interesting there is no mention of virus or Protozoa treatment testing.

This discussion is interesting and it was informative to read the responses. I'll have to check out the links later. Personally, I am not inclined to use any chemical additives in my drinking water. But I am curious about all these different methods of water purification. I am also curious, NDSOL, if not developed for backpacking use (and/or to make money with), what do you think this stuff was originally developed for? Third world water treatment for bacteria?

I would interpret the statement, "all testing was done in potable water" as just that. The water that was used to do the testing was drinkable, which dovetails into your question about the uses therefor.

Potable water exposed to air (and everything in the air) does not stay potable after a period of time (dependent on numerous factors). Aquamira liquid is labeled to keep that period of time greatly extended. So if you have stored water for emergency purposes or perhaps in your RV water tank, then the Aquamira liquid will keep it still potable by killing bacteria. Similarly, if you have a animal watering trough that is filled by a well that delivers potable water, then this should help keep the water safe and free from slime caused by bacteria.

By analogy, think of the liquid you buy to add to gasoline to ensure that the gasoline will not break down and will still be good next year when you pull your lawnmower out after the winter.