Originally Posted By Rick_D
So you missed this, yes?
Quote:
EPA Registered Water Treatment; EPA Reg. No. 9150-9-71766

And for a comparison against iodine and Miox against bacterial biofilms, this.

EFFICACY OF CHEMICAL WATER TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES IN THE BACKCOUNTRY

Aquamira and Pristine liquid treatments work, and can be used with confidence. I prefer filtration, myself.

Cheers,

No, I did not miss it, but it is irrelevant to the discussion as related to backpackers. There is a dramatic difference between an “EPA Registered Water Treatment” and an “EPA Registered Purifier”.

As Aquamira states, “When used as directed, Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets meet the EPA guidelines for Microbiological Water Purifiers making it the safest solution on the market.” But for the liquid, Aquamira makes the following claim, “Aquamira Water Treatment treats drinking water using chlorine dioxide to kill bacteria, control the build up of slime and improve the taste of stored water.” See the difference?

As for your other link, perhaps a review of some quotes would be helpful to put the scope of the study in context:

Quote:
This study investigated a narrow set of operating conditions in the laboratory, using a model experimental system that is undoubtedly limited in its ability to predict all field conditions.

The reader, of course, should be cautious. We did not address key factors that are important in the natural environment, including the presence of turbidity and organic matter, which can have a profound impact on treatment efficacy (usually reducing efficacy dramatically). Consequently, this study is meant to provide only one piece of data that a consumer might use to make an informed decision about which treatment method to choose for a particular application, recognizing that the complexity of such decisions can be further confounded by factors such as cost, ease of use, packed size, weight, and susceptibility to marketing claims by manufacturers.

Interestingly, you didn't address any issues I raised about the 13-year old study you previously cited as support.

HYOH, but to state unequivocally that, "Aquamira and Pristine liquid treatments work, and can be used with confidence." provides a false sense of security for the situations backpackers face.

Edited by ndsol (08/19/13 10:05 AM)
Edit Reason: Quote did not properly post.