Last week I took my scouts backpacking for the week (trip report is coming, but might take a couple weeks, I.m busy right now). Anyways, a lot of the scouts didn't want tuna (what is this world coming to?). The idea was ramen with tuna. So, I went looking for chicken packets similar to tuna. However, no luck. The stores I looked at had the large bag of chicken, but nothing the size of small tuna packets. Then, I found this:
Freeze dried chicken
This store is local to me, so I can walk into it and buy this without shipping costs. (incidentally, they also had the cheapest prices for Mountain House and fuel canisters).
It says 15 servings per can, but then I saw that the serving size is twice the calories and protein as a normal tuna packet, so I made the can into 30 serving sizes. So, for $43 and 30 servings, it came out to $1.43 per serving, which is cheaper than a tuna packet, and lighter.
I also bought this:
Chicken broth
to add to it. It is basically chicken buion, but as far as I can tell, no MSGs.
Along with the ramen, I also added it to instant rice, which also worked great. My taste for ramen is waning, so the rice seems like a great alternative.
Next time I think I might try adding freeze dried vegetables to jazz it up a little more.