Originally Posted By 05kas05
looking to buy a few things and would like some suggestions / recommendations if possible. most if not all items will be used for hiking and i will be using some items for bikepacking also.

budget for listed items is 0-150.00 per item could possibly go more per item if the cost is well founded

1. water filter system/ also would like some back up tablets just in case filter system breaks.
2. trekking poles, prefer a set of collapsable poles
3. waterproof tarp for 2 8x10 green or brown or something that will blend into the surroundings better.

0-300.00 budget for items below
4.waterproof bivy

Waterproof bivies are going to be as heavy or heavier than some tents. They are specific to mountaineering, where you might end up on a ledge too small for a tent. If you mean a water resistant bivy to pair with the tarp, Montbell has a fine one, very light and compact.

Collapsible poles are legion - there are ones that twist lock, flip lock, and now ones that pull apart like tent poles and fold into sections. Take your pick. If you are not using the poles for a shelter as many do, the pull-apart poles are light and portable.

Water filters - choose one that goes with the area you're in. I use a gravity filter a lot, but have a pump filter so I can wrap a bandana around the prefilter in the event I'm pulling water out of a muddy pond. Preplanning trips, one can figure out which filter to carry. All filters are about the same in terms of effectiveness.

waterproof tarps are legion. You may want one of silnylon if you are budget and weight conscious, and perhaps cuben fiber if you are not caring about budget but want the lightest out there. Blending into the surroundings is sometimes not so desirable - ask anyone who's gone out for a midnight stroll and couldn't find their tent again....

http://hikeandbackpack.com