I recently finished reading this book as I was waiting for "Into the Wild" to come in at my university library. I randomly found the book and was quite pleased with the read. While I constantly thought about how over dramatized Bryson's story was, I found the book to be an awesome read and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the outdoors.

I was especially interested in Katz (Bryson's hiking buddy). I would love to hear the story from his side of the tracks. I felt that he was a character I could associate with on a lot of things.

I think the best aspect of this book was Bryson's ability to step back from the trail/expedition and give the reader a practical history behind each section of the trail he hit. While some readers may find that he gets a little off topic, I thought all the tid-bits of information were amazing. This book has inspired me to put hiking the AT on my list of things to do someday.

Someone mentioned Bryson also wrote a book about backpacking in Europe with Katz (or something of the like). Do you happen to know the title? I would love to put that on my long list of books to read.
~Nick