Hobblit,

I'm another one of the over-75 crowd, and I too have a couple of challenges, but I keep at it and still enjoy. Yes, for me, five miles is very much worth it. I recently did a one mile trip (in rough terrain) and I was so delighted I was almost in tears.

My most serious challenge is a chronic leukemia that comes back to visit now and again. Actually, the real problem is the high-dose prednisone and chemotherapy that is used to beat it back into remission. Prednisone reduces muscle strength, and both the leukemia and the chemotherapy tire one out very deeply. I use a trainer, who is also sometimes my hiking partner, and he is pretty effective. You might consider that approach.

Yes, I'm also a bit less comfortable alone in the woods at night than I used to be, but not that much. We have real wolves here (Eastern Ontario) and I've had the experience Glen describes (being in the middle) but we've had very few attacks on people historically, so I mostly enjoy the howling. People pay to go on wolf howl tours near here.

My other thoughts are seconds to the above. Lose whatever weight you can. If you feel you are overweight, start walking daily, and watch the food. A 32-35 pound pack can be reduced substantially using modern materials. Mine, for three days, two nights is about 12-14 pounds. I weigh about six or eight pounds more than I did when I got out of the US Navy in 1957. Were these things not the case, I would simply not be able to continue backpacking.

Hang in there. I don't know if I can get it back enough (and a long enough remission) but if all goes well, I am one of those mentioned above who is considering an AT through hike (my third) in a couple of years (when I'm 80). I admit though that if I do it will be with my (relatively) new child bride and trophy wife supporting me with an RV. Incidentally, we did a bit of our courting along the AT when I did it last time. She met me at various points, and I would take a day or two off the trail.

So again, yes you can. Yes it's work, some of it hard, and you have to do it daily, but with today's materials and medicines, you can do it. Another thought. get and read the fun book, Younger Next Year. Have at it.