W_D, sorry to hear about the family crises! Been there, done that! Family is precious and has to come first!

I am also kept close to home by my dog's situation and by frantic sewing (which I'm not good at!) of Civil War-era clothing for the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. I hope to make up for that later in the summer.

I haven't kept track of the Wind Rivers snowpack because (for a change) I don't plan to go this year (after having my plans thwarted two years in a row). As with you, local conditions could change my mind!

Heather, I didn't think about the sleeping pad--my bad, since a few years ago I suffered through two cold nights from that cause. Both nights were below the rating for my sleeping bag, but I wore all the clothing I had insde. I was nice and warm on top while my underside was shivering! A good warm pad (at least R5) is worth its weight in gold for us cold sleepers!

I actually think you'll be fine with your current gear, as long as you add waterproofing (dry bags for insulation or pack liners). For each trip, it's a good idea to evaluate afterwards--what you didn't use, what you really didn't need and, of course, what you didn't bring and should have....

Edited by OregonMouse (05/23/13 01:09 PM)