Heather, a suggested organization for a gear list is on the home page of this site, www.backpacking.net (look at the 27 pound, 7 day gear list in the left-hand column).

For evaluation, organization and packing of gear, it really helps to think of your gear in terms of systems instead of individual items. Here, just as an example, are mine: Clothing worn and other items worn or carried (technically not part of pack weight), clothing carried, shelter and sleeping, pack (including stuff sacks and pack liner), kitchen/hydration, navigation, other "essentials" (which may include first aid and hygiene) and the inevitable "other." I list separately the items that vary in weight for each trip--food, water, fuel and some items I need for medical conditions.

Your classifications may vary, but I've found that it really helps to group together all items that are used for the same function.

Admittedly, it's almost impossible to format a gear list on a forum! I once spent hours and hours converting a spreadsheet to text and then trying to edit it on a forum (not this one). It still came out almost impossible to read! I was so discouraged that I never tried it again. I really should investigate google docs!

Unless your gear list is for the non-US folks among us, ounces would probably be a better choice for weight units for most of us to evaluate.

This is a gentle hint for a little reformatting of your list? It would really help if you really want us to dig in and tear it apart!

One principle is to take only the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm and dry in the worst expected conditions when worn all at the same time. The only exception is at least one pair of spare socks. Duplicate clothing items that aren't needed are one of the biggest sources of excess weight. Just be sure those "expected conditions" are lower than the average low temperature--I go for 5*F above the record low.

I don't take deodorant; the smell attracts bugs and bears. Everyone else on the trail smells the same; why should i be different? I leave the deodorant in the car at the trailhead with some wipes to freshen up for the trip home.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/22/13 12:34 AM)