There's an idea that all old gear is heavy and new expensive modern gear is light. While there are certainly lots of nice new offerings to save weight - I just bought a steripen - it only weighs 6 ounces (half) of my PUR hiker filter - which I see is now a Katadyne, however this is only a 6 ounce savings and is for use in specific areas (mountains).

I bought a new Snow Peak gigapower stove today at REI just because I haven't purchased a new stove for 15 years. smile It doesn't save me any weight - well maybe an ounce.

So I just packed my 6,500 Kelty inch spectra pack with an old WM Iriqois sleeping bag 27 ounces, a Warmlight down filled airmattress from 1988 - 27 ounces. My tarp weighs 12 ounces and I carry a foam pillow, a down jacket, gloves, balaclava, rain gear, long underwear, a 1iter titanium pan and a ti cup from 1998? Add the regular first aid, bug juice, flashlights, etc etc and the pack weighs a total of 14 pounds less food and water. I would be comfortable down to about 40 degrees and be able to move during a storm.

As I said, most of my gear is from 1988 to 1991 when I had a large gear budget. I've had a SD Flashmagic tent for 20 years that weighs 3 pounds 4 ounces with stakes poles and stuff sacks, SO EVEN WITH A 20 YEAR OLD TENT THE PACK WOULD WEIGH 16 POUNDS. Its what you carry, not when it was made, that matters. Carry fewer items and it will all weigh less.

So anyway the paradyme has changed. We used to take everything we needed to live for a month in our backpacks, and many tents, stoves, cookits, and other gear ITEMS were not designed primarily for weight. My old RUBBERIZED CANVAS airmattress (when I was a boyscout) had a built in footpump, and weighed maybe 3.5 pounds, ok may 5 pounds, and my sleeping bag was an old rectangular flannel model with cotton fill, backpacks were rucksacks with no waistbands, however by the late 80s there was a lot of high quality light weight camping gear, thanks to people like Kelty and Stevenson.

You don't neccesarily need to buy new gear to go lighter, just leave most of your old gear at home.
Jim