There is a very good NE website, Views from the Top you should check out. Not sure what the new member policy is these days, but you should be able to read posts without joining.
Get a copy of The Complete Walker 4th Ed. It covers everything, but is not lightweight oriented like this site. However, it does talk about thinking about gear and clothes as systems. At some point it is not about the brand; quality gear is quality gear. But just buying by brand could mean you have a bunch of nice stuff that doesn't work together as a system. I don't have a lot of stuff, but I don't need a lot of stuff either to be warm, dry and safe.

Remember though, just because you are only out for a few days at a time does not mean you should skimp on quality. Example, I have a very expensive down parka I use only a few days a year (yep, the one in my picture). I got it on eBay and the cost is now amortised to about $25 every time I put it on. Worth every penny. On the other hand, I have a Swiss Army knife, I've had for about 30 years. Quality lasts.

Edited by TomD (04/13/13 12:19 AM)