My son who will be almost 16 next summer when he goes to Philmont with his Scout Troop. They will be arriving in Denver CO mid to late July 2014. They will spend a few days in the CO Springs area to get acclimated prior to the 11 day trek at Philmont. I have some questions about gear that he might need. Budget is somewhat of a concern however time is on my side for now. I have time to find good deals etc so its not everything. We are in Charlotte, NC and it would be nice if the equipment would be suitable for here as well however I understand the climate is quite different. Humidity is a constant here.

Currently he has an REI passage backpack which has an adjustable torso. A Boy Scout (No Brand Name, came from the Scout store)down 32 degree sleeping bag(2.5 lbs) A Big Agnes insulated air core pad.
REI quarter dome T2 plus tent.

I was told that they are required to start out from most points carrying 5 liters of water.

1. Do they supply the tents at Philmont? I have heard they supply gear other than personal gear there is that true? Is our current tent choice reasonable?

2. Would a realistically 35~40 degree bag be sufficient or too much for Philmont late July early August?

3. Is an infaltable pad a good idea for this trip or should I consider a closed cell foam pad that can't spring a leak be a better choice.

4. Boots, He has a very comfortable pair of Keen boots that he has had for 1 year. His feet might grow between now and then. How long should I wait or how soon should I get him another pair to allow sufficient time to break them in. If his feet don't grow should I risk letting him wear 2 year old well broken boots? How can I tell if a pair of boots might not make it?

5. Any other things I should consider?

Thanks for any and all input!!