Okay, I didn't think about it before, because I didn't realize this forum was specific to outdoors backpacking, but I appreciate the advice you guys have given. That said, I do love hiking and have really gotten into it the past year or so. I haven't had enough experience to know all the best gear and techniques, so this place will still be great for me in that sense.

Brian, thank you for the link to the Osprey bag. I see what you're showing me in that bag, but there was actually a link on that page that was showing a bag exactly what I'm looking for. REI Grand Tour seems to be designed for exactly what I want in this case. It doesn't have a spot to tuck away the straps, but it does address that issue with its rain cover which also acts as a duffel for checking on an airplane.

I really appreciate the responses, the advice, and everything you guys have done, even though it's outside what you normally do in this place. This forum is bookmarked on my bookmark bar because I'm certain I will be here often. I've been trying to find ways to lighten my gear for hiking and stuff like that, so I think I've come to the perfect place.