Eagle Creek is another brand to consider. These are, of course, specifically travel packs, not for wilderness trekking (which is what we on this forum do).

The type of lightweight packs most of us on this forum use won't hold up too well to the ministrations of airline baggage handlers, another reason you want a pack designed for travel. If you've ever watched those baggage handlers at work, you know what I mean! Scary!

As Brian says, for travel you want the kind of pack in which the shoulder straps and hip belt can be hidden behind a solid cloth panel. I have an REI travel pack that has that feature. I bought it twenty years ago, have used it for all sorts of travel ever since, and it still looks almost new! It has stays so the weight transfers quite well to the hip belt. However, it weighs about 4 1/2 lbs. so is far too heavy for the backpacking (wilderness trekking) that I do.

Like PerryMK, I carried a small lightweight daypack (less than a pound) in my bigger pack to use for day trips. If there's room for your laptop inside your travel pack, then you don't need the heavier, bulkier, detachable version. Just slip the laptop in the daypack in the airport before you check your larger pack so that you can carry on the laptop.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/29/13 02:50 PM)