Originally Posted By BrianLe
Are you going at a pretty typical time of year? I.e., late April start perhaps or thereabouts?

Yep

Is it important to you that the gear last longer than a single thru-hike?

Hadn't thought about this too much. I guess I figure that in the places that I'm playing it safe/heavy/comfortable I will finish the trail with a better idea of what I can live without and would replace many of those items to further lighten my load. I wonder if I should try to transition to tarps before the trail to see if I can get the hang of it...

Which variants on the zpacks tent (tarp) were you thinking of?

Specifically the Hexamid Solo Plus with Netting, not sure about the beak.

All shelters that I am considering have completely enclosed bug spaces. That is something that I cannot live without at this point in my backpacking career as I have personally experienced mosquito hell on a section of the PCT/TRT and understand how much sanity comes from an enclosed bug shelter.

Another way of looking at this is --- assuming that this is your first long distance trip --- you can't really know how well you'll like it or if something unexpected will push you off the trail.

I read this last night, and it really steered me toward some sanity. I have been so caught up in counting ounces and lightening my load that I forget that this IS my first backpacking trip over 160 miles, and that I don't know for sure that something won't come up (family/injury/mental health/whatever).

While I know that getting under a 12# baseweight wouldn't be super difficult, I do know that it may be costly. I am also young and pretty strong so maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about the baseweight, and should instead be more rational.