So, the time has come for me to get another air mat. This one is for my wife to use when we go together, and me to use in the winter instead of my BA insulated air core. I have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 possibilities. Because my wife and I are side sleepers, and she has generous hips, thickness is key. She has slept on the BA (2.5 inches thick) and said it wasn't too bad. However, I want to get her a seriously comfy pad. I am only looking at pads that are 3.5 inches thick or more. That, of course, really limits the field. I was at REI the other day and they are clearancing all their exped downmat 9s. I want the medium size, and they were at a good price. However, the other day, I went in and they only had the LW. I asked the employees and one said that there are still some at other stores, but not in this state. So, if I had to, I can do a store to store transfer. Campmor is also selling them at a decent price, compared to SRP. Of course, when I was in the store, I saw the new BA Q-core. It is also 3.5 inches thick, uses synthetic insulation, and is about 10 oz lighter, and is cheaper than the sale price for the downmat. It also has a lower R value. Another pad I have looked at is the warmlite DAM. I am a little skeptical about the inflation system with the DAM. Of course, I have never used it. BPL did a review of it last year, and Roger Caffin didn't like the bag inflator. That doesn't mean that I can't get it to work, but I am skeptical. I was going to look at kookabay, but it looks like he isn't doing that anymore.
So, are there any others I need to look at? Any comments on the DAM inflation process? Anyone have success replacing the DAM pump with something better? I think I would rather use a down filled mat, just because I know the down will last longer over many compressions. I like the exped inflator, but it costs more than the other two, and weighs more. The BA is cheaper, and you can blow it up with your mouth, but is has a lower R value, and no down insulation. I don't like the DAM's pump, but haven't used it, and I like everything else about it, price, weight, thickness, R value etc.

Edited by finallyME (11/29/12 10:57 AM)