Rionada,

My experience is just the opposite of yours...I think. My Feathered Friends Swallow bag works great as an unzipped quilt but doesn't do as well as a zipped up sleeping bag. Go figure?

The Swallow has continuous baffles and I had it overstuffed with 2 ounces of down. The down stays evenly distributed when the bag is lying over me like a quilt. When I zip things up (sleeping bag mode), however, the down migrates. As I turn back and forth during the night I evidently massage the down in a way that moves it to the sides within a few hours.

I think my bag is too narrow for me and here's my current guess as to why the down does or does not shift. When the bag is lying loosely on top of me (quilt mode) I can spin to my hearts content without rubbing the bag and moving the down. When the bag is in sleeping bag mode it is tight on me (think burrito) and I press outward against the inner bag every time I move.

This whole sleeping bag warmth thing is complicated and confusing........and interesting.