Quote:
So there are shelters and sites. (Kinda stupid question) What's the difference? I kinda guessed the shelter is obviously....a shelter. So the sites are just a random site with no tampering?

Yes. The sites are just a cleared out area for tents and hammocks. The only manmade items there are the bear cable and fire ring. The shelters are just three wall building with very large bunks.

Quote:
Do you have to stay at a designated site? I really just wanna know if these sites are solitary or shared?

Yes, you have to stay at a designated campsite. Far as share and solitary, it depends on size of the designated campsite. For instance, some site can hold 12 people. There could be 12 people there on a giving night or could be just 2 people. I've stayed at a site where it was just me and my buddy and stayed at a site with me, my buddy, and 4 other campers. They weren't sleeping next to us, they were on other side of the large campsite, etc. It really varies, if this make sense? if you cannot see it in your head, you will see when you arrive. keep in mind, some campsite requires reservation and some do not. So, when you get a route plan out make sure the campsite(s) along the way requires reservations, you can make reservation through the park's backcountry office by phone, but I think by time you go you can reserve online. I heard rumor they're implementing a software system to do this...

Quote:
Also wondering if we could move to different sites as we would be moving through the park?

Yes. You cannot stay more than 2 nights at one campsite nor more than 1 night at a giving shelter. I think?

Quote:
Just in general inquiry what it is like staying at the sites and hiking through the park, tips, etc?

It's awesome! It a beautiful park loaded with plants, animals, and tourists. You are required by regulations to hang your pack and food on the bear cable. Every sites has one. There are fire rings, so you are allow to burn in the fire ring. A lot of sites has creeks to refill your water, some has springs but it's mostly the shelters on the AT that has springs. 3 days in the Smokies for your first trip can be difficult depending on the route selections. Which I can assist you with. Oh, and another thing. Currently backpacking in the Smoky is free. When you arrive for your trip, it will cost you and your buddies 4 bucks each per night. Which means it be total of 16 bucks for both of you to camp two nights.. It bites, but that the new rule going in effect starting in 2013. There has been an exponential increase in backpackers in recent years, so the park rangers wants to add more staff for regulations and maintaining sites. Least that their excuse.

Let me know if you got any more specific questions about the Smokies. I have a ton of pictures on here of the Smokies and I think I got some decent pictures of campsites and shelters if you want to see.

Edited by ETSU Pride (11/13/12 11:09 AM)