“Anyone have experience with these and opinions?”

My first water filter was the First Need. So that’s what I compare all filters to. It can take dark tannic water and make it clear. Plus it’s easy to tell if the filter is broke.
1. The Vario shocked me and let the tannic water through. It probably kept out the cooties but psychologically I have a hard time drinking brown water.
2. I can’t tell if the vario cracked.

The plus for the Vario is it only has one tube. This really helps scouts not get the dirty and clean tubes touching or intertwined. And this also means way less parts to deal with.

I’ve tried several dozen filters (carbon to ceramic) and they all let some degree of color through. So when I want clean water, I’ve stayed with my First Need. I liked the instant cold water I could get from filtering (vs waiting 30 minutes w/ chemicals). But admittedly, the First Need took all the flavor out of water and the filtered water does taste distilled; something that I got used to.

But now, out in the Rockies, I’ve really enjoyed the steripen opti for the past 2 years. Tasting cold mineraled mountain water is a pleasurable highlight of my trips. The opti is light, fast, and hasn’t failed me yet.

-Barry
The mountains were made for Tevas