I'm pretty much at home in "the mountains" but when I visit a desert I am especially careful of every step and every cactus and stuff because I am out of place there and don't know what to expect.

So if you are venturing out into the snowy winter wonderlands, especially in mountains, I can offer some advice as to some pitfalls to be aware of, but I can't help you in a desert.

To start out, take a tent, preferably a winter tent, but most any tent that doesn't have a screen body (need a solid body) will do, especially if you are below tree-line and I do not suggest going above tree line at first. Set the tent up well in a spot where dead trees can't fall on it and stake and maybe anchor it with deadmen in the snow.

DO NOT SET YOUR TENT UP UNDER A BIG TREE. When you're sitting near a tree and suddenly a thousand pounds of snow hits 5 feet behind you, you will see that snow falling from trees can kill you.

Stay out of gullies and places that can be buried by avolanche or minor snow slides.

Learn about and stay off avolanche slopes. Generally any really cool looking bare spot with an angle of about 30 degrees.

If you put your boots in your vestibule, cover the tops so snow can't collect in them and likewise close any packs in the vestibule.

Be sure that you have a fire/water snow melting systems that is up to your needs.

Know how to melt snow - start with some liquid. I have written a long post somewhere on melting snow.

Beware of leaking fuel bottles.

And last but perhaps most important - stay off snow bridges over swift mountain streams (especially walking without snowshoes or skis). Falling through is a bad way to die.

Other thoughts and input???...

Jim smile