Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By Gershon

This is for SAR team members. In my opinion, SAR reports should be published. Perhaps they could be released 3 years later so identities aren't so clear. There is one victim written account here which has some good information.

You aren't alone, but, as long as they are attached to law enforcement agencies, SAR units follow the same policies. And think about this: would you want everyone in the world to know you were drinking urine to stay alive, and then you were found three miles from your car?

And Yosar does not publish everything... no way. That park rarely has a day go by that the searchers don't go out. The radio traffic is incredible to listen to.

As already noted, nothing stops books from being written, and there's plenty of those.

Lori,

Usually safety reports are published without names in aviation. Yes, all the dirty details come out and some people get embarrassed, but they save a lot of lives.

So what if someone knows I drank filtered urine to stay alive? They probably wouldn't mess with me after.

It amazes me that Yosemite has so many rescues. Last year, I talked to the local SAR in early August and they hadn't had a rescue all year.

Perhaps a sanitized book of rescues in the gift shop at Yosemite would prevent some of these rescues. It could earn SAR some extra money, too.

There is a nagging concern I have for myself. Since I've never had a bad situation in the wilderness and have never run across someone who has, maybe I'm underestimating the dangers. A book of local rescues could dispel that and at least make me more alert. As you say, it will probably never happen, so I read news accounts every so often.