This post is directed towards the OP, jbylake.

From my perspective I have no idea why Lori bothers continuing "this" discussion. It doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. You, jbylake, HAVE added to this forum, but this thread is not a good example of that. Lori's point of leaving an itinerary being probably the most important thing you can do should be underlined. jbylake, in your example of what happened to you, which was very unfortunate of course, did you leave an itinerary? Or at least tell people what you were going to do? It seems to me you were very lucky if you did not tell anybody. You were lucky anyway that you were not injured even more seriously.

I might be the only one here who thinks this way, but what would make this an interesting thread is REAL INFORMATION. That guy who died in sight of homes or a highway who did a million things wrong; list the top 4. Or 2, or just the worst. Git a real discussion going. Some of the best info presented here was Finallyme's list of things to think about in a survival situation. One of the most interesting reads out there is the annual Accidents in North American Mountaineering; that's got some real info/analysis in it. But up to now, I really have no idea what you want out of this thread; its a total mystery to me. And I do understand survival techniques btw.

This is not meant to be a personal attack or anything so please do not take it that way. If you don't like my suggestions, I will not have hurt feelings, but I will also will not be joining in on the discussion either.

Sincerely, Chris

ps In a survival situation, your best tool is your brain. That is why I always carry extra, just in case.

Don't take yourself so serious, people.

Edited by skcreidc (10/09/12 12:16 PM)