Awhile back, Lori mentioned Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies. It really addresses the mental aspects of survival and addresses the two main issues on the thread. Avoiding trouble and getting out of trouble.

Another book I got was NOLS Wilderness Navigation. I wasn't so satisfied with this one as I didn't feel a person could learn the information without a pretty good knowledge of it before. That's probably the right level for many in NOLS and I did get some good tips.

Another book I read was "Never Get Lost (aka Green Beret's Compass Course." The problem with this method is it involved plotting vectors and pretty soon you run out of room.

Orienteering can't be learned without field work, so I did a lot of it. Finally I tossed both these methods out and learned to navigate using just a compass and 2 sets of Ranger beads. From there, adding a map is simple. All the math can be done in your head with practice.

I just bought the Army and Marine winter survival books for Kindle. They are just $0.99 apiece.