Originally Posted By lori
I think you are misunderstanding my intent.

I consider preplanning a survival skill because it is. Going into the wilderness, downtown LA, or downtown Tokyo requires some preparation for Most people because going anywhere without knowing what you are up against is dangerous to some degree.

As a SAR volunteer who has searched the central Sierra for hunters, day hikers, campers, fishermen, tourists etc who Had no intent to be in a survival situation, i can tell you that they are getting in trouble at about the same rate as people who should know better or have significant experience or training. We have looked for lifelong backpackers and barefoot kids who "just went for a walk." We are still looking for an experienced, prepared hunter who vanished. The main survival skill Most have in common is the ability to stay calm. Being in an altered state due to dehydration or making decisions while panicked results in worse outcomes.

Learning as much as you can before going backpacking radically reduces risk of many extremely common problems. Awareness comes first. Then you have half a chance at getting people to make an attempt at skill building. Preventive SAR is one of my current and ongoing projects.

Lori, I agree. Planning is a survival skill. Heading out into difficult terrain, especially solo, requires much preperation and planning. Staying cool and confident comes with either experience or training, I think we're in agreement there also.
Being aware of your physical limits, is also a part of planning. Trust me, I'm getting older, I know. Now the only major component that seems to be at odds with, is knowing what to do when all goes horribly wrong. Staying cool, calm and level headed is absolutely necessary. But you can have ice water in your veins, and if you still do not know what to do, if your lust of nature, and the outdoors takes you to earth, and mother natures "bad" side all of the planning in the world can go out the window. That's the only point I was really trying to make. And a great many people have needlessly died, for lack of knowledge and skills. Do you see where I'm going with that? You can plan and prepare till the cows come home, but when the boogeyman comes, as we used to like to say, can you deal with him? Other than this one last point, I believe we are absolutely on the same page.

Cheers and best wishes to you up there in Alaska this winter.
Man I hate cold weather, so you can have it!

Oh and one last thought. My bucket list has at least one unfinished item, as far as backpacking goes, an area in which I have absolutely no training whatsoever, and that's an ECW trip. Yeah I know I said I hate the cold, and I've done some winter camping in the Rockies, with friends, where I've never strayed more than 100 yards from camp. But a winter trip to the Yukon, or another continent would definetly be cool. I was actually searching the web for somebody that does that kind of training or trips.

I think it would be more of a challange than even the hottest day in the sand, jungle or woods.

We'll see.

Jim

Edited by jbylake (09/18/12 09:01 PM)