Yes, I turned down the $800 prescription orthotics offered by a podiatrist (by the time I was able to get a GP appointment and a podiatrist referral I was so much better that I almost cancelled the appointment!) because I was doing fine with a combination of blue Superfeet and some heel inserts recommended by my eldest son (who got it in both feet while serving as a military attache in our embassy in Tajikistan). I also have green Superfeet but those are too thick in combination with the heel inserts (the combo raises my heel too high in the shoe). I hope that in a few more months I can use just the green Superfeet without the heel inserts. They do have the arch support just in front of the heel that I need, just not quite as much as the heel inserts.

I've been using a night splint, which reduces or eliminates morning heel pain by keeping the plantar fascia slightly stretched during the night. I never realized until this started that when we relax our muscles, our feet go into a semi-pointed toe position. This is why folks on the borderline between two sleeping bag sizes should go for the longer size unless they always sleep curled up in the fetal position--the pointing toes add an inch or two to your height when you're stretched out full length.

The most important part of the treatment has been lots of icing, lots of stretching and rest. These are the ones I've been doing. They really have helped! As mentioned, it took so long to get to see a podiatrist that these measures (all approved after the fact by the podiatrist) had already done most of the job.

I still have a few episodes of heel pain, but when I'm sitting rather than during or after walking. It's a warning that I need to keep on stretching!

I also bought a pair of New Balance motion control shoes (W1012) which, along with the Superfeet, really help with my pronation problems, which supposedly were a big part of the cause along with insufficient stretching before and after exercise. It's important to replace shoes frequently because the shock absorbing materials deteriorate, even if the shoe is not yet worn out. The New Balance SL-2 last fits me perfectly, providing the high and wide toe box, high arch and extra narrow heel that my weird feet require. It's too bad that their insoles are so flimsy; they used to have a much more supportive insole. I ditched their insoles and replaced them with the Superfeet. Unfortunately, NB does not use the SL-2 last for any of their trail runners. However, they are now using a more corrugated sole for their regular running shoes, so I hope I'll be able to use the 1012's for hiking. I'll find out in a couple of weeks! I'm still walking laps in the park on the grass, probably being over-cautious.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/01/12 01:51 PM)