uhhhh, Mark--isn't that Labor Day weekend that's coming up? And I thought I was out of sync after missing most of the hiking season!

To the OP--I bought a very lightweight fleece vest to use as a midlayer for while I'm actively hiking. Frankly, it turned out to be too warm! Instead, I use a Patagucci Merino 1 long sleeve crew neck (men's) which, over my standard Capilene 2 base layer and under my windshirt was just about right--that with temps in the mid to low 20's and the wind blowing. I also wore Smartwool liner gloves and a Smartwool headband (with a hat I was, again, too warm). Of course as soon as I stopped, the down jacket came out!

A lot depends on what kind of weather you expect. The only time I worry about a separate hiking mid-layer is in shoulder season or in alpine areas.

Also, as already mentioned, there is a lot of difference between a mid-layer for when you're actively hiking, when you want to be comfortable but not sweat, and the insulation layer needed to keep you warm when you stop to rest or camp!

Oh, and REI is also having a sale, as is this site's sponsor backcountrygear.com. I suspect that all the major retailers are having sales!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/20/12 11:08 PM)