This past weekend some lowlife stole my MSR Dragonfly stove. They ignored the fuel bottle right next to it. They also went into my tent and took an old, torn pair of shorts... ignoring the Western Mountaineering sleeping bag and Big Agnes insulated air core pad. Thieves are idiots.

So I need a new stove. I have an alcohol stove for when I'm going ultralight, but I prefer white gas for expeditions and cold weather trips and car camping. The Dragonfly was a great stove... very reliable and simmered like a champ. Two drawbacks were the weight and loud roar at full throttle.

I'm thinking about getting a Simmerlite to replace the Dragonfly. I've cooked with one about 20 nights, so I'm familiar with them. They are quiet and relatively light and use fuel bottles I already own. They don't simmer very well, but better than a Whisperlite.

What do you all think? Other options to consider? I'm open to canister stoves, but it seems like I'll spend hundreds of dollars on canisters over the life of a stove. A one month trip with a white gas stove costs about $5 for fuel.

And one last thing. I need a pot lifter too. It was in the stolen stove bag. Should I just go with the standard MSR pot lifter? Get some titanium variant? Attempt to not spill my pasta on the ground while using a bandanna or mittens? Replace my ancient pots and get the kind that have folding handles built in? I need a solution that can reliably lift a full 2L pot.

Thanks very much for all your thoughts!