G'day, mates.

So I'm a pretty happy hanger, most of the time, but I've come across a couple situations where it would be nice to have a mattress.

One is that my fiancee says she'll do some small trips with me, but she doesn't like the idea of hammocking by herself -- even with me a few feet away. Neither one of us particularly likes sleeping on the cold, hard ground. So this is one time I'd like a mattress.

The other is that my brother and I are going to hike the Pinhoti at some point. There are shelters on part of it, and I'd like to use them, if possible. I'm about as happy sleeping on a shelter floor as I am the bare ground, so I'd need a mattress.

I am a side sleeper at home, and snore too bad when on my back to spend much time there. So I need something that will give a bit to my hips, but support me.

I own a RidgeRest CCF pad, and it's slightly better than nothing, but not by much. I've only taken it out a couple times, since I generally am in my hammock, but the times I've used it ended up being livable but not particularly comfy. Less uncomfortable than bare ground, but not the best thing.

I briefly tested a ProLight Plus in REI a few months ago, and I liked it. But the cost and weight are putting me off. Especially considering I'd have to buy two of them.

I'd like something that I could use as insulation in my hammock on cold nights, if possible, although I'm not opposed to using a blue pad from Wally World specifically for that.

I'm not opposed to a shorter-than-full-length pad, but I don't know how short is too short. Nor do I know if I should put my pillow on the pad or on the ground right next to the pad, thereby maximizing the useful length of the pad.

Oh, and I don't want to be separated from my pad in the middle of the night because it's slippery. It needs to be able to accept me rolling over (with my whole bag), but yet not slide off. This last requirement is not as important as other considerations.

So what do you think? Is the ProLight (or ProLight Plus, for that matter) worth the cost? Are there any that are cheaper but offer the same benefits?