So I came across an article (on a British site called "Peak Performance") that showed how keeping athletes' hands cool kept their core temperatures lower, which could lead to increased performance.

I began to wonder if the opposite were true--if I were sleeping in my summer bag, and the temperature dipped down to a point where I would be uncomfortable, would I warm up if I somehow warmed up my hands?

Well, last weekend I got the chance to test this idea. My better half and I did an over-nighter on the PCT (Hood River, OR to Wahtum Lake, returning the next day). It's been a bit warm over the last few weeks, so I was just sleeping in some light cotton PJ bottoms and a t-shirt. I was perfectly comfortable and fell asleep without issue.

Overnight, a small storm cell moved in and the temps dropped overnight.

I woke up shivering, and that article was the first thing that came to mind. Put my hands between my legs and fell back asleep, my hands nice and toasty.

Woke up again a few hours later, hands not between my legs, and once again, shivering. I put a pair of wool socks over my hands, and slept just fine the rest of the night.

I've been kicking this idea around my head for a while now, and have been itching for a second opinion... So here goes:

With regards to sleeping warm, would taking a pair of insulated and/or wool gloves or mittens instead of thermals, longjohns, a wool cap and sleep socks be something you would consider?

This would be a pretty significant way to save both weight and space, especially if you bring a dedicated, heavyweight sleeping outfit.