I dunno lori - I think there's enough Condescension on all sides. I've seen lightweighters be pretty Condescending to traditionalists, etc. I've definately seen lots of Condescending hammockers too (and even though I love my hammock, it's not the solution to everything..)

Having said that, come on, most people are catered to by the gear marketers and stores.. You wanna know why people do that stuff and stick with it? Go into a gear store and play newbie. Say you wanna buy stuff to go on trips up to 7 days - and do it like "super size me" - if they suggest it, you gotta buy it.. if they suggest two things, buy the bigger and tougher.

I bet you'll walk out with an "Expedition" backpack, (it can carry all you stuff.. an has GEAR patches.. oh what are those? that's for your ice axe and crampons and ropes and stuff.. oh you don't have those now, but you'll be manly/womanly enough for those soon....)... "four season" tent. (hey you could get this, but it won't work in -40 on denali - if you get this you'll be able to go anywhere!!) water filter that will filter the volume of the amazon and weigh half as much.. outback oven, dragonfly stove, base camp cooking set.. enormous synthetic bag because "you'll need to sleep in it wet". You get the drill, and an "expert" told them they needed this much "just in case". (I mean, you might some day go up denali...)

Makes for an interesting thought doesn't it.. a "super size me" exercise.. weigh what you get suggested....

Edited by phat (07/02/12 12:14 PM)
Browse my pictures