Garmin Etrex 20 or 30 - I have the 30 - Get the model that does dual GPS and GLONASS (the russian one). The dual set of
satelites (and nice russian northern hemisphere coverage) means it does tend to work better with limited view of the sky.

I have been using now a Garmin Etrex 30 with the free Ibycus Topo 4.0 (wit Ibycus "old roads") that is a free version of the government topo maps. it's pretty good for hiking - you'll need to buy a bigger micro-sd card to hold that, but it's kind of nice having topo for the whole country, for free, in your unit, you just need to to a little research online to find the Ibycus maps and get them installed onto your sd card.

The small size of the unit leaves something to be desired for car use - it'll work, but for that you're better off with something bigger. If you do a lot of "dedicated GPS work" where you are fiddling with it a lot you may want a bigger screen or better interface. Me? I want it as light as I can get it for taking hiking, yet with good maps. this fits the bill. I wish the battery lasted longer but oh well, I use eneloop rechargables in it (from costco) and take several sets. I *may* get a lightweight charger apparatus for longer trips. If you leave it on "during the day" for tracking purposes without the backlight I get about 2 days out of a charged set of eneloops. If I don't leave it on, (and only take it out and turn it on when I want it to figure the world out) it lasts much longer - but I have to be prepared to wait a while for it to boot up, and find satelites when I want to do that.

Edited by phat (06/24/12 02:13 PM)
Browse my pictures