I just use a single pair of socks, Smartwool Light Hikers. They are rather cushy, which I like. Some prefer a very thin sock. And of course there is the Wright sock which is a double sock. Your Mileage May Vary. You can always try out various combinations.

One word of warning: You'll find that, especially when you sit down, your ankles are quite vulnerable to mosquitoes. (I found that out the hard way!) You can wear socks with a relatively high cuff and spray the cuffs with permethrin, or you can wear low gaiters. Some low gaiters, like Dirty Girl, are specifically made to keep the trash out of your shoes but not to be waterproof. You can spray those with permethrin and (unless you wash them a lot) it will last a whole mosquito season. I'm still debating the anti-mosquito issue, but since I probably won't be hiking until mosquito season is over, it's probably a moot point for me for this year.