Brian,

There is a lot we agree on. The boots were submerged about 4 inches or so. Just above the top of the foot. Most of the crossings on the "many crossing" day were that same depth. 2 or 3 were briefly over the top of the boot.

Realistically, I'm not likely to ever have water over the top of my boots for more than a few steps in Colorado. Those types of streams usually have a bridge.

I don't often get the chance to go out more than 3 nights, so time between treatments isn't a factor. I use Lexol to treat which doesn't waterproof. After 300 miles (I keep a log) on the boots, I haven't seen any loss in waterproofing. Some report they do lose it. In one of the test reports, I read the military standard is 180 days in the field with no repairs or treatments of any kind. But it didn't specify conditions.

If I were to do the AT, I'd probably have a bounce box with another choice for shoes. But I would start out with the combat boots. Realistically, the chances of me doing the AT are slim.

To get it back on topic. Often there is a stream with a wide shallow spot where there is smooth sand or gravel. Then it narrows to a spot where there are sketchy stepping stones and deeper water. Given that I know with certainty the boots won't get wet through in a shorter shallow crossing, I'd just walk right across. With shoes, I might be reluctant to make the same choice.

If I get the chance, I'll get some gray socks that will show moisture real well and do some extensive testing. Even if it means walking back and forth through the same stream.