Fairly good information. I personally would spend more time finding a crossing spot. I also have gone out a ways without my pack to "test the waters". I think the fellow has an unrealistically light pack. It is very different when you have a larger pack. I agree that the waistbelt needs to be undone, but once you do, the pack becomes much less stable so leaning can really get you off balance. A few times I have had to divide my pack into several loads.

He did not elaborate enough on dangers of cold water. It not only makes you cold, it really numbs your feet and legs to the point you feel like you are walking on stumps so that you cannot feel the bottom of the stream. The waders he used definitely keep his feet warmer than crocks or tennis shoes.

He also was carrying a big towel. That is not necessary. You can wipe feet nearly dry with the top parts of your socks and then air dry a few minutes.

If you fall into very cold water it can actually knock the breath out of you and make swimming impossible.

You do NOT need wading shoes (although they are nice to have). I have crossed many times in my hiking shoes. Take off socks, take out the insole and lace up tight and cross. On the other side, dump out the water, squeeze out water, pinch and slide fingers up the shoe laces (they tend to get wetter than the shoes), and set on a rock to dry. Dry feet. Put dry insoles back inside. The shoes will get your socks damp, but not soggy wet.

I have my doubts about having others stand on the banks to rescue you. I for one, am not a strong enough swimmer to rescue anyone who would fall into the water. I would simply endanger my own life.