I started backpacking as a mountaineer and always had gaiters because almost every trip ended up on snow. I just got used to gaiters. I feel naked withouth them! I have light short gaiters and heavy duty long gaiters. I wear low-cut hiking shoes and the gaiters keep my socks clean and pebbles out of my shoes. Particularly on dusty trails, I like to have gaiters. When crossing snow, keeps it out. I do a lot of early season hiking where I post-hole in snow. In mud pant legs stay cleaner. Big advantage of long gaiters in poison oak- gaiters stay outside the tent in the vestibule. Walking through tall grass with dew- keeps legs and feet dry. Bushwhacking- prevents tears and protects legs from prickers. Keeps out creepy crawlies- like ticks. I also wear tall gaiters with shorts. It is easier to rinse out gaiters than the hiking pants. In camp I lay a Platypus over my black gaiters and solar heat the water. My summer hiking pants are fairly light weight and the gaiters add warmth on cold mornings. The gaiters are 90% of the time on my legs and not in the pack on my back, so the extra weight is not a big issue with me. The gaiters + low cut hiking shoes are still lighter than boots.