As the idea of what you're trying to do has wandered in and out of my mind today (no map or compass, so it got lost a couple of times), I was thinking about the huge difference in the amount of material needed for a pack versus even a one-person tent - where will all that extra tent material stow when you fold it into a pack-size container?

As I thought more about it, perhaps one refinement of your criteria has to do with the type of shelter. Maybe, instead of trying to develop a "Pack A Tent," you could figure out how a pack could transform into a bivy sack. The two would seem to share more features, and the bivy sack might come closer to using the same amount of material as a pack. For a couple of ideas, look at the REI Minimalist and the Integral Designs Salathe - if you could combine the weight of the Minimalist with the really great ventilation of the zip-down top of the Salathe, you might be onto something. The roadblock is the fact that, in a bivy, there's nowhere to stand or kneel to change clothes or pack/unpack - most people also take a tarp. But, even with a small tarp, you could save some weight if your pack turned into a bivy sack.

Hmmmmm....