Hello backpackers! First post, figured I'd say hi, and wanted to get thoughts on what to bring, etc.
I am in Iraq right now, and will be on vacation in a few months. Going on a 2 week cruise, then visiting the girlfriends family in Belgium, then she's going home to Calif. and I'm backpacking around Europe. I am trying to figure out what I should bring.

I want to basically have one pack, carry on size, with a detachable day pack. I will be going for about 10 days. I love this pack, http://www.rei.com/product/809156/rei-grand-tour-85-travel-pack-mens
but it's too big for a carry on. I don't want to check any bags, losing a bag would ruin the trip, and I don't have the time for them to track it down, as well as coming back into Iraq isn't a simple task, and I only bring checked bags on my big moves.

I'd love to hear what you guys think! I'll be starting either in Belgium or Barcelona for this trip, so any tips on where to go, what to do, and how to do it would be great!

Can't wait to check out the rest of this site! I love all things outdoors. I am a gear whore with work, and play, haha... sometimes they mesh well too! I wear a lot of my REI stuff out here. So versatile!!! Speaking of REI, my dividend is here, I've got a few hundred bucks to spend, so help me do it! smile

Thanks!