Hikerchick
One of the neighbors told me that there used to bus loads of people coming to see the gardens on my property. I sure wish I knew what they looked like then so I might have a chance in my restoration project. I fear that if I can restore it all it may take several years. Some of the rare plants have escaped the gardens though and grow along the street and up in the lava flow. I have about 4 colors of penstamens in one area and lots of indian paintbrush along the sandy edge of the flow. The very first crocus and affodil tips are popping up now.

The idea or rock garddening is to provide a substitute environment for plants that normally live on steep rocky mountain sides. Those brilliant flowers that stand out in the rocks are the subject. Many of the plats only seen on deep backpack excursions may grow in gardens like mine. Its really hard to identify the plants because the seeds for the North American Rock Gardening society come from all over the globe.

I will have to join, buy seed in the annual seed drive, then start them inside and transplant into the rock garden. I have 2 eidelveis plants - I hope they come up this spring. One thing I did was spread bone meal over the bulb beds.

Jim