I just went tru all my home dehydrated meals for my trip. I was amazed at how light weight. Here is a list of what I have so far. I still have to put togetehr 2 trail pizzas and my bean burritos with blackbeans and rice.
2 Sloppy joe Kits

2 Tree Frog and Rattlesnake soup!

2 Spaggetti Ramen

2 Red Beans and Rice

2 Black Bean Soup

2 Lentil Soup

1Ham and Pea soup

2 Beef Stroganoff

1 Mushroom soup

1 Jumbalia w turkey sausage

1 Beef with mushroom gravy

Breakfast

2 Green Grits with Ham

3 Cream of wheat with fruit bluberrys and strawberrys.

3 oatmeal with fruit and raisin Strawberrys and bluberrys.

Granolla cereal with drid Bluberrys and Strawberrys.

Total weight for 18 lunch and suppers, plus ten Breakfast is.
seven lbs 9 oz! I am amazed! Now this doesnt count condiments like salsa packets But all dry spices were added during prep!
I still have my peanut butter cups, beef jerky and trail mix to add as well. I am even dehydrating the pizza sauce for my tortilla pizza kits. Sauce will have mushrooms and peppers dried added during rehydration of sauce!
I should also mention powdered milk is pre added to all oatmeal, cream of wheat and granolla cereal. I vacume sealed all meals. Dried ground beef was added to many soups stroganoff etc before vac sealing. This even include single serve spam packets for tree frog and Rattlesnake soup! I dried a few meals last two years and took freeze dried. My dried meals were better! They are for sure much lighter. Freeze dried packageing is often bulky and heavyer. I am using Tortillas for my sloppy Joes! I didnt sample all meals but most I have and I like. Oregon Mouse, you said you didnt have luck rehydrating peas? I got nervous and added some boiling water to dried frozen peas. I let hydrate 8 min in my cozy. They rehydrated excellent? They were a bit eldentae in the center but not hard at all. I used allot of split peas as well, they rehydrate very nice. It took a bit of time drying and packaging. But I think it is worth it now. Besides I am off this time of year so it keeps me busy!

It is better to try and fail than never try at all!

Edited by Kent W (03/12/12 02:25 PM)