So let's say you're from the south(louisiana), and you move to the west(SLC), and you decide to do an overnighter during WINTER. Don't forget gloves! Ouch! Also, take into consideration that snow tends to cover up the trail!

Due to my inexperience in solo backpacking, I scouted the area via day hike before deciding to try an overnighter. After a successful day hike, I decided to go back for an overnighter. I hiked all day and decided to pitch a tent due to some gnarly weather rolling in. The next day, due to the excessive snowfall, I managed to get lost and turned around on the way out. I was very thankful that the trail I was on was so close to the city. I managed to get out of the woods safely. I realized that if I had been in the middle of some under-maintained trail in a "real" backcountry scenario, I would have been totally screwed. This experience presented a few valuable lessons:

1. Always be very observant. Just because you think you know where you are doesn't mean you should blast down the trail like your Gary Cooper! Take time to enjoy the scenery, and you could avoid some serious backtracking.

2. If you lose track of where you are, turn around, and backtrack on the trail you came down. Never assume the road is "right over there." Bushwacking is ONLY for experienced woodsmen\woodswomen.

3. Extra socks are worth their weight in gold... Always! No matter what anyone says.

4. Never forget gloves in the winter. Even if they're itty-bitty rinkity-dink childrens gloves! hehe

5. Last but not least... in the event of weather that reprimands you to your tent. Always bring something to read. Being wide awake in a tent is no bueno.

I read in an earlier post about camping during the winter and its benefits. Having a snow trip under my belt, I can comment. IT'S INCREDIBLE! The sound of the woods after the snow stops falling is one of the most incredible things that this country boy has ever experienced. I've never experienced such calm in my life. It's like nature puts a damper on all the sounds buzzing around outside of and inside of your dome. Take the money you were going to spend on a meditation instructor and invest a few pieces of gear. DON'T FORGET GLOVES!

Edited by Dyingjohnnie (03/07/12 09:38 PM)