I've really taken to herbs and spices in the last year, at home and on the trail. I add my spices to my chai style tea, and to my oatmeal based breakfast and lentil based soup. To my soup I also add paprika and herbs. Herbs can be an important source of vitamins and minerals, and actually carry their weight in protien. I lump paprika in with my herbs because it is essentially just dried fruit, sweet pepper, and like some herbs you can have it on more quantity than spices.

I haven't worked out my way of packing it all yet. The spices I like to keep separate so I can custom spice, but the herbs I am more inclined to premix in with my dried soup mix. I might make a thin leather pouch for my spices, with little baggies or mini tubs of spices inside. Not sure yet. I like whole spices so they keep longer and I can pick out individual spices, and its nice to see them in their native form. Herbs I pack only enough to use up on the trip, up to 1 ounce per day in total. Spices I don't mind having some left for next trip.

Spices:
Anise
Black Pepper
Cardamom
Cinnamon
Cloves
Ginger
Nutmeg

Herbs:
Parsley
Chives
Herbs Provencal or Italian Mix
Herb of the Week ( Rosemary, Thyme, whatever )
Paprika
Dried Vegetable Mix
Dried Onion Mix