Over the years ive gotten fairly proficient at baking in a dutch oven, and it sure is nice to have a fresh baked bread product in camp. someone got me a pie iron a couple christmas' ago, and it seems like a good alternative to a dutch oven. its cast aluminum, so its fairly light as compared to cast iron, and ive been thinking of ways i could shorten and modify the handles to use with an alcohol stove.

in searching the forum, i havent found any pie iron recipies, so heres a couple i came up with:

pie iron pizza balls: take a tube of the smaller pillsbury style biscuits and roll each out individually. cut a string cheese into 3/4" or so pieces and place one in the center of each rolled out biscuit, along with diced veggies or pepperoni, and pinch the edges together at the top. pack the dough balls tightly into the pie iron and cook til golden brown. dip cooked balls in spaghetti or marinara sauce.

monkey balls: cut tube biscuits into quarters and roll in cinnamon sugar. pack into pie iron with a pad of butter or some oil in the center and cook til golden brown.