Sounds good! You probably already know, but be set up for wind. If you are going soon, you are probably going to get stormy days intermixed with really nice ones. One of my favorite spots to visit is San Blas. Really nice beach and rivermouth area, kind of touristy now. Used to have a "pirate" bar established in the late 1500's (or so they said). It's located at Matanchen Bay North of Puerto Vallarta.

With surf, its often just the experience of the trips taken that form an opinion. No surf...no fun sometimes. At a lot of these spots you need to go thee at the right time of year. The west coast of mainland Mexico, with spots like Puerto Escondito, Pascuales, and all the points in between need a south swell to get going. Matanchen Bay used to be in the Guinness world book (for longest right I think). I don't really know the East side, but I'm sure there can be good surf there too.

Pascuales during a September swell. Lets see...78 degree water, no crowds (back then), and a solid 6 to 8 foot swell. Looks OK to me grin