Thanks everyone. I did think of another solution to my problem...get a new pack! haha

REI said they would take this pack back no problem and it's still new, never used, so I don't feel bad about sending it back. I know some like to take advantage of REI's return policy. Anyways, there is another Millet that is a 55+10 and there is an REI pack that is 70L. I think that the current pack would be a great warmer weather pack that would fit a minimalist tent setup (rainfly and ground cloth) plus other gear. However, with my tent and sleeping bag, there is really not much room for anything else. Unfortunately being a bigger guy means I have to buy bigger gear such as my sleeping bag and the tent is a 2 person, so it of course is taking up more room. I am working on shrinking myself so hopefully before too long I'll be able to shrink my gear too.

And TomD...no, not pouches. They are straps. If they were pouches then it would have been a perfect solution. As it is, the poles do fit pretty nicely under the side straps and the draw string on the pole pouch can be looped in such a way to prevent them from falling in case the straps loosen. I think though now that I have the majority of my gear assembled, my pack is just a bit small. I really like the Millet and I am tempted to try the 55+10. I'd like to try and find some actual measurements on it first. Otherwise, the REI 70L bag looks really nice and is 30% off and should be plenty big for most trips I would ever take.

Edited by Chad from WV (12/23/11 03:08 PM)