I looked at this pack on REI's website. I would take the poles and stick them under the side straps on one side. Looking at the picture, it appears the pack has ski pockets at the bottom on each side just below the straps with "Millet" stenciled on them. If I am right, stick the pole in the pocket, then under the three side straps. If there is no pocket, I would put them in a light bag of some sort that has a draw string (like a small compression sack) and put the bag under the straps, but fasten the draw string to the pack to make sure the poles don't slip out if a strap comes loose.

Nothing wrong with fastening stuff on the outside of your pack, but since straps can work loose and you might not notice it right away, check the pack every now and then to make sure everything is still there. When you break camp, make sure you have the poles. As the last thing you probably will be packing, it is easy to forget them if, for example, it is raining or you get distracted.

btw, I disagree with OM about the tent not being suitable for backpacking, so don't get alarmed. I think you just bought it, so don't let that worry you. I take my winter tent backpacking and it won't fit in my pack at all.

Edited by TomD (12/23/11 02:26 PM)